Smile. Be kind. Hug a tree . . . If you missed a previous post, visit my archive.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

New Year, Discipline & Sequel

HAPPY NEW YEAR READERS AND WRITERS









Hope your holiday season was happy and productive. My family shared delicious food, gift giving and games. Winter has arrived in my area of the country with single digit numbers. Burrrrrrr!!!!!!

With the new year in front of us, I've been thinking about my writing and what I want to accomplish. Last year, I finished my YA novel Hybrid: The Egg Harvest. A long three years, I might say. But, those three years taught me a lot on how to write. Spending time with my critique group, reading books on how to write, and laboring at the keyboard has lodged the word 'discipline' deep inside my brain. Most days are a joy to write, others complete drudgery. I've learned a daily writing schedule is a must for productivity. As we all know, life gets in the way of our writing, but with discipline we must make up the time the next day. It matters little whether our schedule is word count or hours, making up the time is crucial to the success of finishing our story's. My word count for each day is 500. So, if I miss a scheduled writing time, my make up count for the next day rolls over to 1,000 words. If it's a low energy day for me and the words aren't flowing that's the drudgery day I hate.

For the new year, I've decided to try a sequel to Hybrid. My working title is Interweave. I'm five chapters in, and the plot and characters are coming together without much headache. The joy of writing is flowing.

I hope your reading and writing is off to a great start for the upcoming year. My new read this week is Cassandra Clare and Holly Black's, The Iron Trial. 

Best,
Sherry













No comments:

Post a Comment