Smile. Be kind. Hug a tree . . . If you missed a previous post, visit my archive.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"Sentence"

Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts.
This requires not that the writer make all sentences short or avoid all detail and treat subjects only in outline, but that every word count.
(Strunk & White)

The above from Strunk & White is a constant rule that I revisit. After writing a chapter that I think is the best ever, when I edit, 2/3 is telling not showing, and I've written unnecessary words. I admit it. I'm a chatter box. My brain jumps around like a frog trying out all the lily pads on his pond. I won't tell you how many words this post had before I kicked out the unnecessary.
I'm working hard on pruning-out the deadwood in my YA. Cutting those precious little darlings is painful. But, I must. And find those showing words that fuel my story. Unnecessary words are nothing more than reading clutter. Remember, less is better, always.

Happy Writing,

Magdalena

No comments:

Post a Comment